4EARTH FARMS BBQ PULLED JACKFRUIT
5 LBS. FRESH UNRIPE JACKFRUIT
Prep Time: 45 Minutes | Cook Time: 55 Minutes
1 tsp. olive oil
1 1/2 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. paprika
1 1/2 tsp. liquid smoke
2 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup vegan BBQ sauce (your favorite store-bought or homemade kind)
Buns for pulled pork sandwiches or corn tortillas for gluten-free pulled jackfruit tacos
Carefully cut the jackfruit in half and cut out the core. Pull out the jackfruit’s fleshy pods and remove their seeds.
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add and sauté the onions for about 7 minutes or until translucent, then add the garlic and sauté for about a minute longer.
3. Add the jackfruit, sugars, spices, and liquid smoke. Stir until the jackfruit is evenly covered.
4. Add the vegetable broth, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes or until liquid is mostly absorbed.
5. Use a spatula to mash and divide the jackfruit until it looks similar in appearance to pulled pork.
6. Transfer and spread the jackfruit onto a baking sheet and cook in the oven for 20 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and evenly coat the jackfruit with the BBQ sauce.
8. Return the jackfruit to the oven and cook for another 10-15 minutes or until the jackfruit is lightly browned
Serve and enjoy!